The Austin City Limits Music Festival has announced the lineup for its 15th installment of the festival, with heavy hitters Radiohead, Kendrick Lamar, LCD Soundsystem and Mumford & Sons headlining the fest. Austin’s own Willie Nelson will also join the festivities in his first ACL appearance during the fest’s second weekend.
Photo by Jorge Sanhueza-Lyon/KUTX
Check out our coverage of the 2015 Austin City Limits Music Festival. Here are some highlights from Weekend 2:
9:30 am Son Little
R&B artist Son Little mixes 70’s inspired groove music and bluesy guitar riffs with seriously poignant messages. Inspired by the passing of two friends and the death of Trayvon Martin, Son Little is an outspoken advocate for young African-Americans.
10:30 am El Tule
Talk about the perfect festival act. Local party band El Tule fuses traditional Latin dance music like Merengue, Salsa, Tango, and with Reggae and Caribbean beats will definitely inspire you to shake a leg.
11:30 am Leopold and his Fiction
The brain child of songwriter Daniel James, Leopold and His Fiction turns roots rock on its edge with twinges of garage rock and gritty Detroit soul. The band has been working with GRAMMY nominated producer Chris Smith and promises their upcoming album will be one you won’t want to miss.
12:30 pm Shakey Graves
Who better to wrap-up our set at the Four Seasons than hometown hero Shakey Graves? Alejandro Rose-Garcia honed his lo-fi sound as a one man band with distinctive jangly guitar and tattered suitcase with kick pedal for percussion. In recent years Shakey joined forces with guest vocalist Esme Patterson for some killer duets and percussionist Chris “Boo” Booshada for a stronger more powerful rhythm section.
Dive in to our coverage of the 2015 Austin City Limits Music Festival. Here are some of our highlights from Weekend 1:
Sons of Bill showed off their sweeping harmonies on “Lost in the Cosmos.”
Austin psychedelic folk outfit Calliope Musicals covered a rhythmic rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” for us backstage.
Leopold and His Fiction played an acoustic version of “Ride.”
Milo Greene took us away with “1957.”
Sons of Bill weave their tales of the open road in “Big Unknown.”
Con Brio’s Ziek McCarter and Benjamin Andrews perform the funky “Give It All” from their debut album Kiss the Sun.
Jose Gonzalez’s haunting “With the Ink of a Ghost” serenaded the KUTX tent at ACL.
Eight-piece baroque pop band San Fermin squeezed backstage to play their latest single “No Devil”
Rayland Baxter spun his captivating songwriting for us with “Mr. Rodriguez.”
Maggie Koerner’s deliciously soulful “Sirens” may make you hit the replay button several times.
A unique doo-wop version of “I’m Caving In” added new flair Leopold and His Fiction’s crowd favorite.
Milo Green continued to wow us with some smoky arrangements. It’s no lie.
Baxter once again cruised his smoky vocals through “Yellow Eyes.”
This relaxed duet between Shakey Graves and Rayland Baxter will definitely plaster a giant grin on your face.
The Suffers poured on the soul with “Stay.”
Waxahatchee’s Katie Crutchfield joined KUTX at ACL to perform “Greenville.”
San Fermin performed “Emily” backstage at ACL.
It’s that time of year again and everyone’s getting excited for ACL – even those who didn’t buy a wristband. Fortunately, there are plenty of ACL alternatives both weekends to choose from.
– KUTX is teaming up with the Four Seasons Hotel on Friday, October 9th for a live broadcast featuring some of our favorite bands from Austin City Limits Music Festival 2015. A $10 donation at the door gets you a breakfast taco, granola bar, cup of coffee and some great live music. All proceeds from the event benefit the Seton Shivers Cancer Center at Brackenridge Hospital.
– Starting Thursday, October 1st there will be a number of official late night performances by ACL artists. Be sure to buy your tickets before they sell out!
– Beginning October 2nd at 2pm, the first weekend of the annual fest will be livestreamed on Red Bull TV.
– Do512 lists local music performances and other events every day, some of which are free with RSVP.
– From Do512’s list, we hand pick live shows of artists we play on KUTX. (Week 2)
– On Saturday, October 10th RAW PAW will host the 9th installment of Ditch The Fest Fest – a locally-loyal festival at Empire Control Room & Garage for just $10. DTF Fest is an all-ages event starting at 2pm.