The City of Austin Music and Entertainment Division, the Austin Music Foundation and KUTX have teamed up once again to declare February Love Austin Music Month, and we want you to be part of it, too! Here are a few ways to support your music scene this month:
Not everyone’s lucky enough to live in the LIVE MUSIC CAPITAL OF THE WORLD, but you are! Get out this month and support Austin artists and local music venues by catching some live music. Every weekday in February, Laurie Gallardo’s Austin Music Minute will highlight a show around town featuring an Austin artist or band. You can also check out our running list of shows by Austin-area bands/artists in February (and even help us build the list!)
- Listen to an all-Austin stream like KUTX’s stream at Austin Bergstrom International Airport or Austin Public Library’s Electric Ladybird.
- Check out (and amplify) KUTX host Miles’ Black History Month profiles of Miss Lavelle White, WC Clark, Tee-Double, Dr. James Polk, Tameca Jones, Eimaral Sol, and Pamela Hart.
- Get to know folks in your scene – like Mayor Steve Adler, DJ Shani, Orthy, and El Federico – and their great taste in music through KUTX’s guest DJ hour, My KUTX.
- Help get #loveaustinmusic trending on social media in Austin!
- Pledge to turn 5 friends outside of Austin on to 5 Austin-area artists.
- Amplify your favorite Austin artists’ videos on social
Make a gift in honor of Love Austin Music Month to one of the many non-profit organizations that support Austin music. These are just a few to consider …
(Psst … KUTX is a non-profit, too. Are you a member yet?)
- Here’s a two-fer: Buy Austin music while supporting one of our local record stores!
- If you can afford to, buy music and merch from your Austin artists at shows or on their websites. (A band shirt makes a great Valentine’s gift for an out-of-town music-lover or Austin ex-pat.)
- At shows, tip like it’s the holidays! Some performing artists use Dipjar or Venmo to collect extra revenue at shows. (Remember to take care of your music venue bartender, too!)
- Consider carrying a little cash this month so you can show some love for your local busker (who may one day be a GRAMMY nominee, like this guy.)
You can also shop at businesses who support Austin music. See a list of Austin businesses with special Love Austin Music Month offers. Own a business in Austin? Create a special offer for your patrons for the month of February that directly benefits Austin music or encourages your them to support it, and add your offer to our list:
If you’re an emerging musician in the Austin area, join KUTX at Austin Music Foundation’s Feel the Love Music Industry Expo on February 18 at Emo’s. Admission is free, and it’s a great opportunity to network and to learn about resources available to you in Austin – from health care to media coverage to work opportunities. Register for the event here.
If you’ve got a show coming up in February, be sure to add it to the Love Austin Music Month calendar above.
Now get out there and LOVE AUSTIN MUSIC!