As you may have guessed by now, Halloween is your friendly neighborhood Austin Music Minute maven’s favorite time of year (one dead giveaway being how often I reference a certain mistress of the dark – hello?!). And when you think about it, it’s no surprise that in our fair city, people really know how to celebrate All Hallow’s Eve – especially with live music. So, darlings, gather your shrouds and polish those fangs. You’ve got a lot of fabulously fiendish shows to choose from on this haunted night…
– It’s a no-brainer. That’s probably because the zombies ate them all. The White Ghost Shivers are celebrating 10 years of putting together one of the most swingin’ Halloween celebrations around. This year, it’s 10 Balls Deep! and all going down at the Spider House Ballroom, 2906 Fruth St. The party wouldn’t be complete without a gruesome gathering of beasts on the bill. Make way for Clyde & Clem’s Whiskey Business, Mr. Lewis & The Funeral Five, and the Hot Nut Riveters, plus DJ sets by Dennis Campa and The Girl Who Knows. Party hearty with the real monsters, dearie.
– Dario Argento would be proud. The Reverberation Appreciation Society presents the Cinema Mysterioso Halloween Costume Party at Frank, 407 Colorado St., with a creepy cool bill starring Spindrift, Christian Band & The Revelators and Hollow Trees. Featuring new music by Spindrift, a new Black Angels video produced by Transistor Six, and fabulous prizes for the best costumes, including passes to Austin Psych Fest 2014.
– Rattletree Marimba is celebrating the release of their new EP Joy with frightfully fun release show, Dance or Die, at The Sahara Lounge, 1413 Webberville Rd. Featuring a performance by Djembabes starting out the night. All manner of freaks and frights are encouraged to show off their best moves.
– It’s no Bates Motel, but this is the place to catch some crazy-good music. Hotel Vegas is celebrating it’s 1-year anniversary with a monstrous frenzy of bands, including The Bad Lovers (releasing their Wild Times LP and kicking off a tour), The Memories, Peach Kelli Pop, White Fang, Grape St., Colleen Green and The Lochness Mobsters. Unleash the kraken. I heard he digs rock. 1502 E. 6th St.
– Say! Those children of the damned know how to party! The Flametrick Subs, accompanied by the devilishly dashing Satan’s Cheerleaders, perform at Infest, 213 W. 5th St. Plenty of dark revelry with Midwest Monster, convOi!, and Black Eyed Vermillion. A real throat-grabber, darlings.
– And do not forget the fearsome Black Joe Lewis is taking over the 5th Annual Zombie Ball at ACL Live at The Moody Theater, along with Captain Clegg & The Night Creatures and Cats From Japan. Zombies, rise up and boogie.
Here’s to a fun and music-filled Samhain! And in the words of my favorite hostess with the mostess, “Unpleasant dreams…!”