Free Week here in Austin really is a no-brainer. You get to attend shows at participating venues for free. That’s free – your favorite price ever in the history of ever. And Free Week is underway with – and I do not exaggerate when I say this – some absolutely incredible line-ups. The venue bookers have really outdone themselves this year, and it’s only going to get better. Tonight’s recommended show is happening at Empire Control Room, 606 E. 7th St., with quite an eclectic mix of styles on the bill, no doubt:
– Unleash the hounds. You’re gonna need all the help you can get. Make way for Austin’s very own trashgrass hoodlums Whiskey Shivers.
– Life, the universe and everything – complete with florescent hues and a sound that flies wherever it wishes. Mad love for pscyh-dub pop trio extraordinaire Holiday Mountain.
– You will dance with the darkness, not fear it. Synth-punk gloom wonders Borrisokane is a definite Austin Music Minute fave.
– Said it was a songwriter. But it’s a band. They’re awesomeness times ten. Pop quartet Alex Napping will rawk you.
– Three friends conquering the rock-dream pop universe, and then some. More awesomeness from Yum that is most delish.
Doors open at 8 p.m-ish. Treat yourself to an astounding night of freebee goodness. Then buy lots of albums and band merch, okay? I mean it.