Since 1989, Rock N Roll Rentals has provided high-end music equipment to the Austin community for affordable rental prices. From guitars, amps, and effects pedals to PAs, lighting equipment, and karaoke machines, the company serves individual musicians, bands, and events of all sizes.
Craig Johnson, the manager of Rock N Roll Rentals, joined the company in 1999. It was a natural fit for a lifelong music obsessive. He remembers discovering music that heavily featured effects pedals and synthesizers; subsequently, he added more of that gear for rental. Johnson digs into this symbiotic musical relationship on My KUTX this week. He DJs an hour of music that’s inspired him, which includes ’80s pop production, ’90s hip hop and alt rock boundary-pushing, and the one jazz cassette that changed his life. Hear Craig Johnson’s My KUTX on Saturday, December 3 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime at the top of the page.
- Tears For Fears – “Head Over Heels / Broken”
- Salt-N-Pepa – “Push It”
- The Velvet Underground & Nico – “The Black Angel’s Death Song”
- Pixies – “Monkey Gone To Heaven”
- A Tribe Called Quest – “Check The Rhime”
- Pavement – “Silence Kid”
- Louis Armstrong – “Mack The Knife”
- Digable Planets – “Examination Of What”
- Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie – “Mohawk”
- Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane – “Epistrophy”
- Isotope 217 – “Audio Champion”
- Drums & Tuba – “Topolino”