Photo by Robert Hein. Artist portraits by Ismael Quintanilla III.
Last spring and summer, as the reality of the pandemic settled on the Austin music scene like a shadow, Ismael Quintanilla III grabbed his camera and sought to document this historic shutdown. He’s used to capturing Austin music in all its live, sweaty glory, working as a photographer with the Red River Cultural District and Do512. But in 2020, Quintanilla saw musicians in an unfamiliar place: stuck at home, with no live concerts on the horizon, severed from the audiences, spaces, and music they hold so dear.
The result is a gorgeous book of photography called I Am Here All Day, featuring poignant, intimate, and emotional portraits of Austin musicians like Sabrina Ellis, Jackie Venson, Bad Boy Croy, Ray Prim, and more. All proceeds from the book will benefit Austin non-profits, including HAAM, SIMS, DAWA, Banding Together ATX, Free Lunch, and Niñas Arriba.
This week on My KUTX, Quintanilla talks about the impetus of the book and plays a DJ set full of Austin favorites. Hear Ismael Quintanilla III’s My KUTX on Saturday, May 1 or listen anytime in the player above.
–Art Levy // producer, My KUTX
1. The Human Circuit: “No Warranty”
2. The Guacamole Police – “Get Off My Lawn”
3. Pleasure Venom – “Fascist”
4. Gina Chavez – “La Que Manda”
5. Square Waves – “Constant I Know”
6. Croy & The Boys – “For The First Time I’m Starting To Think About My Age”
7. The Dead Coats – “Fire Again!”
8. Ley Line – “Slow Down”
9. Ray Prim – “Too Much To Lose”
10. Cosmic Chaos – “Bananas”
11. The Boleys – “Sick Of The Man”
12. Belcurve – “Not Alone”
13. Jackie Venson – “Back To Earth”