Photo by Christopher Durst
Kathy Valentine grew up in Austin, taking in her first punk shows at the famed Armadillo World Headquarters. A few years later, she had a number one hit album as the bassist of the Go-Gos. This is just one of many twist and turns in her life, all recounted in a new memoir from the University of Texas Press. All I Ever Wanted is a mix of storytelling and remembrance, highlighted by an original soundtrack that Valentine made to coincide with each of the book’s chapters.
Valentine’s upcoming book tour is obviously being affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Please go here to find dates that are still scheduled, as well as ways to support local bookstores who will be hurting in the weeks to come.
At the very least, we’re pleased we can share this guest DJ set that Valentine recorded for us a few weeks ago. The mix combines her love of stories with a passion for music of all kinds, ranging from Curtis Mayfield and Bikini Kill to Gang Starr and Merle Haggard. Hear Kathy Valentine’s My KUTX on Saturday, March 21 at 6 p.m., or listen at any time in the player below.
–Art Levy // producer, My KUTX
1. Curtis Mayfield – “Move On Up”
2. Kathy Valentine – “Clubland”
3. The Rolling Stones – “Rip This Joint”
4. David Bowie – “Dollar Days”
5. Starcrawler – “No More Pennies”
6. The Bluebonnets – “15 Minutes From 1965”
7. The Beaches – “Want What You Got”
8. Bikini Kill – “Rebel Girl”
9. Kathy Valentine – “Shrinking Sinking”
10. Merle Haggard – “The Bottle Let Me Down”
11. Kathy Valentine – “Next To Merle”
12. Dan Reeder – “Stay Down, Man”
13. Cage The Elephant – “Telescope”
14. Gang Starr – “Family & Loyalty” (feat. J. Cole)