Photo by Michael Minasi/KUTX
Collaboration is at the heart of Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis’ stellar careers, both together and separately. Besides being married for over two decades and raising a family, the Austin duo has released four albums together and continues to host an in-demand annual Christmas show. Robison has written songs for the Dixie Chicks and George Strait, and recently he launched The Next Waltz at his Lockhart studio. The venture is basically an excuse to get together some of his favorite musicians–Jerry Jeff Walker, Carson McHone, Shinyribs, and more–and record them doing what they do best: playing music, live to tape.
Robison and Willis’ fourth collaborative album, Beautiful Lie, is out June 21, and they celebrate the release with a show at the Continental Club on June 22. And this week on My KUTX, the pair trade songs and stories as our guest DJs, spinning songs by their all-time musical heroes alongside the next generation of Austin songwriters. Hear Bruce and Kelly’s My KUTX on Saturday, June 15 at 6 p.m. or listen at any time below.
–Art Levy // producer, My KUTX
1. Nikki Lane – “Send The Sun”
2. The Amazing Rhythm Aces – “Amazing Grace (Used To Be Her Favorite Song)”
3. Leroi Brothers – “Eternally Blue”
4. Charley Crockett – “Jamestown Ferry”
5. Jerry Jeff Walker – “Backslider’s Wine”
6. Carson McHone – “Don’t You Think I Feel It Too”
7. Ray Charles – “Black Coffee”
8. The Davis Sisters – “I’ve Forgot More Than You’ll Ever Know”
9. Shinyribs – “Brokedown Palace”
10. Willie Nelson – “She’s Not For You”
11. The 13th Floor Elevators – “You’re Gonna Miss Me”
12. Bruce Robison & Kelly Willis – “Nobody’s Perfect”