Follow Austin musician Jackie Venson as she makes her debut on the iconic Austin City Limit’s TV show. You’ll hear how Jackie has been pivoting during the pandemic, and find out how Austin City Limits has been adapting to taping shows without a live audience.
Listen to this episode of Pause/Play
Episode 3 of “72 Hours in Newport” features Austin-based alternative R&B crooner, Jake Lloyd! In this episode, our confessor shares an intimate story of discovering her bi-polar diagnosis while traveling through China and opens up about how she’s dealt with it since. Later; Walker hashes it out with Jake about some of the ways they manage their own mental health, mutual love of Nate Dogg, Bootsy Collins, and if the Austin music scene is rising up to be actively more inclusive for black artists.
This week on The Breaks, Confucius and Fresh
- Touch on their memories of past Juneteenth celebrations and talk about what this year’s event might look like.
- Discuss the criticism surrounding J.Cole’s new song ” Snow on Tha Bluff” and the way he appears to police the tone used by a Black woman activist (presumably Noname).
- Talk about the Black Austin Matters mural and explain why grand public gestures can not replace policy addressing systemic racism.
- Explore why Black Austin Artists are no longer willing to stay silent about systemic racism in the Austin Music Scene.
- In his Unpopular Opinion, Fresh argues that fans do appreciate Kendrick Lamar and are ready for his next album.
- In his Confucius Says, Confucius discusses the integral role of Black women in the struggle for Black liberation.
- This week’s local song of the week is “RED” by MALIK.
Listen to this week’s episode of The Breaks
This week on The Breaks Confucius and Fresh:
- discuss how different the American public’s reaction to the murder of George Floyd feels compared to previous protest movements, and share their hope that this will lead to sustained long term public pressure to tackle systemic racism in America.
- discuss Lil’ Wayne’s comments on George Floyd’s murder and explain why they often don’t want to hear their favorite artists opinions on current events.
- explore what the recent closings of music venues Scratchouse, Barracuda and Plush mean for the Austin Music Scene.
- In his Unpopular Opinion Fresh puts forth the idea that not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur.
- In his Confucius Says segment, Confucius explains what people mean when they say “Defund the Police.”