This week on The Breaks Fresh and Confucius:
- Discuss the success of Cardi B’s new song “WAP” featuring Megan the Stallion.
- Talk about the recent arrests of two men for the 2002 murder of Run DMC’s Jam Master Jay.
- Theorize as to why Akon might be hanging out with Tekashi 6ix9ine.
- Debate whether Kim Kardashian’s involvement in the effort to free C Murder will be make an impact.
- In his Unpopular Opinion, Fresh hopes that Jay-Z can let go of any lingering pettiness he might feel towards Nas.
- In his Confucius Says segment, Confucius says that it’s not worth it to try to understand other people’s baffling decisions.
This week we talk to two very different groups about partnerships and the inspirations that guide their voices. First we hear from El-P and Killer Mike from the hip hop collaboration known as Run the Jewels. The two rappers start out talking about early influences (Prince’s “Beautiful Ones” and Ice-T’s “6 In The Morning”) and end up expressing their love and respect for Southern Rock, The Clash, Outlaw Country and early hip hop and rap. Next, Sarah Castro and Matt Parmenter of the Austin-based Belcurve explain how their collaborations steer clear of the ordinary and how Kathleen Edwards, PJ Harvey and Tom Waits helped them create their shared musical vocabulary.
Listen to Songs from Episode 60 of This Song