Bayonne is the KUTX Artist of the Month for February. Photo by Pu Ying Huang/KUTX.
Roger Sellers’ early records are fascinating experiments. At the time, the Austin musician was toying with both folk and ambient electronic music, making for collections of–as one album calls it–moments rather than big statements. But when Sellers got into looping and sequencers, look out. All of a sudden, his music went widescreen. Fast forward a few years, and now Sellers plays under the name Bayonne. Drastic Measures, his new album, takes that experimental streak and gives it more of a pop twist: the drums are bigger, the melodies hit harder, and Sellers’ voice is surrounded by a lusher sound.
This week on My KUTX, Sellers digs deep with a guest DJ set of influences, teenage memories, and sonic exploration. Hear My KUTX on Saturday, February 23 at 6 p.m. or anytime at the bottom of the page.
–Art Levy // producer, My KUTX
1. Wye Oak – “Before”
2. C Duncan – “Say”
3. Maps & Atlases – “Fall Apart”
4. Animal Collective – “What Would I Want? Sky”
5. Louis Cole – “Tunnels In The Air” (feat. Thundercat)
6. Air – “Universal Traveler”
7. Ben Folds Five – “Don’t Change Your Plans”
8. Pinback – “This Red Book”
9. The Flaming Lips – “In The Morning Of The Magicians”
10. Sufjan Stevens – “They Also Mourn Who Do Not Wear Black (For the Homeless in Muskegon)”