Open the gates, unleash the throngs. ACL Fest 2022 has arrived, and with it comes your AMM host’s humble mini-guide for weekend number 1. But first, shout-outs are in order for KUTX Music Editor Jeff McCord and his essential list of badass local artists playing the fest this year; as well as the Austin Chronicle crew’s seven picks for the first weekend jaunt.
- This afternoon features sets by Genesis Owusu, Gabriels and Austin-based sibling duo THEBROSFRESH.
- Arlo Parks and Austin band Sarah & The Sundays both have 5 p.m. performances on the Miller Lite and BMI stages, respectively.
- And the nighttime ushers in James Blake, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, and headliners SZA and The Chicks.
- Tonight’s ACL Nights shows include Kevin Morby at the Scoot Inn on E. 4th, and Calder Allen at The Continental Club on South Congress.
- Cimafunk’s show at Antone’s is sold out, but you can see them at 2 p.m. tomorrow on the Tito’s stage.
- Before that, AMM fave Lido Pimienta performs at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow on the Barton Springs stage.
- Austin artists on Saturday’s line-up include Mama Duke at noon, and Adrian Quesada’s Boleros Psicodelicos at 2:15 p.m. (the track “Noble Metals” from the forthcoming album Jaguar Sounds is featured on today’s AMM).