Forget the bad juju that’s typically tied to Friday the 13th. No time for Jason out at Crystal Lake. Friday the 13th has plenty of great things in store – especially if you’re a music lover. So go on and thank your lucky stars tonight that you get to see an excellent line-up at Red 7. It’s practically a dream gig for your Austin Music Minute maven – each and every one of these local bands are ones to keep an eye on.
Headliner Otis the Destroyer have been hard at work on their forthcoming album, and they thought it would be most fitting to have a huge tour kickoff before heading out on the road. This is going to be one gi-normous party:
– Prepare to have your senses annihilated and your mind expanded thanks to electro-punk trio BLXPLTN. Just imagine a multi-instrumentalist frenzy melding hardcore punk and futuristic sounds. It’s been said audience reactions range from headbanging to drooling disbelief. Your Austin Music Minute hostess has experienced a lovely combination of both at their shows.
– Embracing all that is indie, power pop, garage rock, surf, punk and every crevice in between, local quartet Growl carries the party with anthemic pop – all mad hooks, mega-riffs and one dynamic intensity. And you wanna hug these guys, dang it.
– Local quintet Big Bill are rising stars in the local scene, with a highly addictive, ultra-quirky combo of new wave, punk and rock ‘n’ roll that induces headbanging. Just imagine Devo, Sparks and maybe the B-52s hanging out on the patio. Because they can.
– More greatness on the way from rock ‘n’ roll outfit Löwin. They recently released their new track “Best Laid Plans” from their forthcoming EP Royal Jelly, due for release April 7th. Their sound strikes a balance between well-crafted delicacy and fiercely-rocking high-volume energy. Beautiful and badass.
You absolutely do not want to miss out on all of this incredible music. Doors open at 9 p.m. Recommended.
– Photography by Emree Weaver.