This week on The Breaks Confucius and Fresh discuss:
- The most recent Verzuz battle between Nelly and Ludacris
- Their own verzuz style battle on Saturday, May 23rd at 8pm when they face off about which was a better year in hip-hop — 1998 or 1999. Watch on the Instagram on the @KUTX account or the @TheBreaksKUTX account.
- How history was made when Doja Cat’s “Say So” remix featuring Nicki Minaj reached number one on the Billboard charts, and Megan Thee Stallion’s “Savage” remix featuring Beyonce reached number two. This is the first time that four black female solo artists have held top two spots on the chart.
- In his Unpopular Opinion, Fresh defends the Netflix show Black AF and tells us why he thinks the show’s critics are being too harsh.
- In his Confucius Says segment, Confucius argues that the music industry in the United States and the Austin music scene in particular need to accept hip-hop and R&B as mainstream and not hold them to a higher standard than artists in other genres.
- The Local Song of the Week is “Do You Mind” by Nayome