Looks as though your Austin Music Minute host got a little carried away again and got some dates mixed up, but didn’t want to waste a perfectly good Bass Drum of Death song (“Everybody’s Gonna Be There” from Say I Won’t). So, please proceed to the MP3 below to hear how it went down…slightly erroneously:
- The AMM selections for ACL Fest 2023 Friday include aforementioned badasses Bass Drum of Death, along with AMM fave Little Simz, plus Maggie Rogers, a tip o’ the hat to The Lumineers, definitely The Mars Volta, and Kendrick Lamar.
- For those not festival-ing, there’s a must-see early show at Hotel Vegas tonight with Eagle Claw and The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, with doors at 6:30 p.m. That’s followed by an insane line-up with Brooklyn band Godcaster, Borzoi and Glasshealer, starting at 10 p.m.
- Also tonight, Mamahawk has a single release show (“Blue Jay”) at Chess Club, paired with a Math Judson album release show (No Needs A New Shirt), and a set by The Get Lows, Doors at 7 p.m.
- A short list for ACL Fest for early Saturday includes four sets, one right after the other – Die Spitz at 11:45 a.m., followed by Shooks, Angel White and Calder Allen. Then head over the BMI stage for Ben Kweller at 3 p.m.
- As you’ll hear on the previously referenced MP3, the AMM mentioned the wrong show day for the Austin Corn Lovers Fiesta at Sagebrush. It’s actually tomorrow, not today, but happy to give them a little extra AMM love. Doors for tomorrow’s crazy party, instigated by Hickoids, are at 1 p.m. Both stages in the house will be invaded by the likes of Hamell On Trial, Lost Knobs, Jane Woe, The Ghost Wolves, The Beaumonts, Pussy Gillette, The Living Pins and more. Sick and twisted. As it should be.
Something for everybody. Go support the bands, even if you’re abstaining from those of the wrist variety.
AMM Oct. 6 2023
Selections for ACL Fest Friday night, Saturday afternoon…and a bit of extra, but extra.