My head hurts. I, your humble Austin Music Minute maven, am not complaining. Far from it. But when there are countless awesome local bands playing different shows in one night, it’s difficult not to feel overwhelmed. Great problem to have, but not so fun when you attempt to organize a schedule. Show-hopping is not for the faint of heart.
I pretty much gave you a laundry list of shows goin’ down this evening. Even if you don’t attend more than one show, this will undoubtedly give you ideas on who to check out tonight:
– Here’s one I didn”t even fit into today’s AMM, and it’s a biggie: Balmorhrea and Mother Falcon at the Austin Scottish Rite Theater, 207 W. 18th St. The absolute most perfect location for what will definitely be a hugely orchestral experience. They both perform tonight and tomorrow night; each will play sets highlighting their chamber music roots, while Saturday features more percussive, rock-oriented material. My colleagues from Transistor Six are presenting the show.
– If you haven’t experienced the live intensity of Lord Buffalo, you must make it a point to see them perform. This evening, they’re at Holy Mountain, 617 E. 7th St., with My Education, San Soleil, and these badasses, Followed By Static.
– Garage-rock psyched-out bliss. They rule. Kay Leotard takes over the stage at Frank, 407 Colorado. The entire bill is a powerhouse, people – A Giant Dog, the divine DD Dagger, and Suspirians. Dario Argento, you would be proud and blown away, sir.
– Ever had a massive band crush? One that sort of took you by surprise? Embrace those little moments of insanity. Garage-y rock/punked-up high volumes with The Nouns at Red 7, 611 E. 7th St. It’s going to be explosive with Megafauna and Mirror Travel on the bill. Don’t leave the earplugs at home.
– Gotta give love to a Houston-based band I really like very much. The Tontons are having their 7-inch vinyl release show at Stubb’s indoor venue, 801 Red River. Fantastic line up for this one, featuring The Couch and Emily Bell.
Are you out of breath yet? Pick and choose accordingly. I know you’ll find something that works perfectly for you. Here’s to a great Friday night.