Like many other music venues in town, the Cactus Cafe has been hit hard by the Covid-19 pandemic. Unlike many music venues in town, the Cactus operates as a non-profit – we are funded solely by ticket sales. We do not receive any revenue from the bar, nor do we receive funding from The University of Texas. If you can, please donate here. Thank you!
For Carrie Rodriguez, the Cactus Cafe is a celebratory space. Her frequent Cactus residency, Laboratorio, highlights Latinx culture through music and spoken word, and it’s an opportunity for Rodriguez to play with some of the best musicians in Central Texas. This week on My KUTX, she plays an hour of Laboratorio and Cactus Cafe favorites, ranging from Austin mainstay Adrian Quesada to San Antonio conjunto queen Eva Ybarra and more. Hear Carrie Rodriguez’s My KUTX on Saturday, June 27 at 6 p.m. or listen at any time in the player above. Also, be sure to check out A Song For You, Rodriguez’s at-home video series where she and her husband Luke perform songs and take requests.
–Art Levy // producer, My KUTX
[intro music: Carrie Rodriguez – “Perfidia”]
1. Los Super Seven – “Heard It On The X”
2. Rosie Flores – “Love Don’t Love Nobody”
3. Ocote Soul Sounds – “Primavera”
4. David Marez – “I’ve Got Soul”
5. Suzanna Choffel – “Continental Drift” (feat. David Garza)
6. David Pulkingham – “La Partida”
7. Brownout – “Naín”
8. Charanga Cakewalk – “Dirty Cumbia”
9. Gina Chavez – “Miles de Millias”
10. Kat Edmonson – “You Can’t Break My Heart”
11. Eva Ybarra y Su Conjunto – “Me Estoy Enamorando”
12. Superfónicos – “Cumbéalo”