House music was born out of the Chicago gay Black experience, and it’s a unique art form. Building through electronic repetition and a steady beat, house can inspire both an ecstatic dance or a relaxed state. For decades, DJ Shani has been something of a house music ambassador. She shares a Chicago birthplace with house, and she’s taken her love of the genre to London and Austin as a radio host and a performing DJ.
Next week, Shani celebrates Juneteenth with her second annual house music dance party, called Together Vol II. Supported by KUTX, it takes place June 17 and 18 at Lolo Wine, featuring DJ sets from Demarkus Lewis, Tobi G, and Shani herself. This week on My KUTX, Shani is back as our guest DJ, previewing the Juneteenth boogie with an hour of house classics. Hear My KUTX on Saturday, June 11 or listen anytime at the top of the page.
- JT Donaldson – “Just Bounce”
- Atjazz – “V1rus” (Dwell Amusement remix)
- DJ Disciple – “I’m A Conqueror” (feat. Beatweezy) [Deez Raw Life mix]
- Dames Brown – “What Would You Do?” (feat. Amp Fiddler & Andrés) [Expansions NYC Extended Dub Vocal]
- DJ Ceez & Tiff Beatty – “Magnets & Gravity” (Tobi G Deeper Ride)
- Tom de Neef & Lazarusman – “Agenda” (Bontan remix)
- Oscar P & Marcus Pearson – “Violet” (Infected Soul remix)
- STR4TA – “Rhythm In Your Mind”