Nakia is an Austin based singer-songwriter who grew up in Alabama. His Austin and Alabama heritage can be heard in the soulful, bluesy grit of his voice. Early in Nakia’s career as a singer, Austinite Miles Zuniga (Fastball), scooped him up to join his side project, The Small Stars, a rock ‘n’ roll lounge act. Nakia went on to form his own band, Southern Cousins, who later shared stages with Willie Nelson and BB King and played Austin City Limits. In 2011 Nakia was on NBC’s television series, The Voice and ended up a Top 8 Semifinalist on CeeLo Green’s team.
Coming off a highly successful solo piano residency at The Belmont in January, Nakia is now debuting a new band with new material at North Austin’s newest live music venue, The Roost. This week, he’s our Guest DJ and he takes us on a journey through his musical upbringing from KISS and Warrant to Elton John and Joe Tex.
- Beth – KISS
- Skinny Legs And All – Joe Tex
- Wasted Days And Wasted Nights – Freddy Fender
- Long Ride Home – Patty Griffin
- Things Can Only Get Better – Howard Jones
- Planet Earth – Duran Duran
- Underground – Ben Folds Five
- All My Mistakes – The Avett Brothers
- Locust Street – The Black Crowes
- I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues – Elton John & Mary J. Blige
- Gold Dust Woman – Waylon Jennings
- Time To Go Inward – Rodney Crowell
- Down Boys – Warrant