A few years ago, Kelsey Wilson traveled to Dallas to write and record a song with her friend David Ramirez. She returned home to Austin with a new band. Sir Woman is Kelsey’s soul/pop pivot from her time with Austin festival favorite Wild Child and roots rock super group Glorietta. An album release fell prey to the pandemic, but on April 20, Sir Woman’s self-titled debut finally sees the light of day.
The group has already become something of an Austin fixture, releasing a handful of jazzy earworms and playing twenty one–you read that right–SXSW shows last week. This week, Kelsey returns as our guest DJ. Her mix features all songs that simply make her happy, including laid back grooves from Toots & the Maytals, a double shot of Aretha, shoutouts to friends David Ramirez and Greyhounds, and more. Hear Sir Woman’s My KUTX on Saturday, March 26 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime in the player above.
[intro music: Sir Woman – “Blame It On The Water”]
- Aretha Franklin – “One Step Ahead”
- Al Green – “Love & Happiness”
- Aretha Franklin – “Day Dreaming”
- David Ramirez – “Hell” (feat. Sir Woman)
- Greyhounds – “What’s On Your Mind”
- Tim Maia – “Do Leme Ao Pontal”
- Stevie Wonder – “For Once In My Life”
- Toots & The Maytals – “Sailing On”
- Kirk Franklin & The Family – “Riverside”
- PJ Morton – “How Deep Is Your Love” (feat. Yebba)
- Matt Duncan – “Beacon”
- Rapsody – “Ibtihaj” (feat. D’Angelo & GZA)