Kevin Curtin grew up in Michigan, but he first discovered Austin while hitchhiking across the country. Since putting down roots in 2009, he’s been a major voice for our music scene as an editor and writer for the Austin Chronicle’s Music beat. Curtin has interviewed his hero Jimmy Cliff, discovered rare records while traveling France with the Black Angels’ Alex Maas, and he can generally be seen in the front row at Austin shows seven nights a week.
On September 11, the Austin Chronicle throws its 32nd annual Hot Sauce Festival at the Far Out Lounge, featuring hundreds of Central Texas’ hottest salsas and live music, all benefiting the Central Texas Food Bank. This week on My KUTX, Curtin previews the festival and somehow makes thrash metal, the Grateful Dead, and Louis Armstrong all work in a guest DJ set. Hear Kevin Curtin’s My KUTX on Saturday, September 10 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime at the top of the page.
- Jimmy Cliff – “You Can Get It If You Really Want”
- Louis Armstrong & Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five – “(I’ll Be Glad When You’re Dead) You Rascal You”
- Power Trip – “Executioner’s Tax (Swing Of The Axe)”
- Hickoids – “Fruit Fly”
- Sherefa Fadel – “Mawal El Oshak”
- Grateful Dead – “Pride Of Cucamonga”
- Nina Simone – “Ain’t Got No / I Got Life”
- TC Superstar – “Dana Be Mine”
- William Maxwell – “Drifted”
- Mike McKinley – “Bindlestiff”
- John Prine – “Fish And Whistle”
- The Persuasions – “Let It Be”