There’s nothing worse than seeing a band stand completely still on stage. Austin’s Golden Dawn Arkestra subscribes to the idea that shows should be larger-than-life; they should wake you up from your day-to-day existence. Formed two years ago, the Arkestra has become a freeform artistic collective, bringing in avant-garde musicians, dancers, and visual artists into its weird orbit. It’s the brainchild of Topaz McGarrigle, a.k.a. Zapot Mgwana, whose background in theater and music led him to create something that’s bizarre, fun, and above all else, danceable.
Ahead of the Arkestra’s performance at Map Jam next weekend (they play at 6 p.m. at Pan Am Park), we invited McGarrigle to play guest DJ for us and reveal the inspiration behind his music. His mix draws from the cosmic rhythms of Sun Ra while also leaving room for some Valentine’s Day picks that will get you in the mood. Catch his guest DJ set on Saturday at 6 p.m. or anytime in the player below.
1. Cold Sun – “South Texas”
2. The Panthers – “Malkaus”
3. Sun Ra – “The World Of Africa”
4. Chakachas – “Jungle Fever”
5. Roy Ayers – “Red, Black, & Green”
6. Fred Wesley & The J.B.’S – “Blow Your Head (LP Version)”
7. Rob – “Make It Fast, Make It Slow”
8. William Onyeabor – “Fantastic Man”
9. Shina Williams & His African Percussionists – “Agboju Logun”
10. Goat – “Hide From The Sun”