Every week we invite our favorite musicians and music lovers to play whatever they want to play. We call it: My KUTX. Hear guest DJ sets Saturdays at 6 p.m. or listen on-demand at our archive.
My KUTX: Marc Fort
Like a lot of people in the Austin music scene, Marc Fort doesn’t wear just one hat. After spending almost two decades at the Texas Music Office, he just became the new marketing and communications manager for the Health Alliance for Austin Musicians (HAAM). Fort has also played bass in a variety of Austin bands, including Schatzi–which reunites on September 3 for a live show–Fuckemos, and Bo Bud Greene. You can catch him around town spinning all vinyl DJ sets, or hear his radio show Ear Candy 2.0 on Monday evenings on KOOP 91.7 FM.
This week on My KUTX, we’re handing the reins to this Austin music lifer for a great guest DJ set. Fort conceives of this hour as his personal “radio heaven”: the songs he’d most like to hear on repeat in the afterlife. Hear Marc Fort’s My KUTX on Saturday, June 25 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime at the top of the page.
- The Reivers – “Baby”
- Antônio Carlos Jobim & Elis Regina – “Águas De Março”
- Pavement – “Gold Soundz”
- TV On The Radio – “Lazerray”
- T-Bone Walker – “Evenin'”
- Cocteau Twins – “Cherry-Coloured Funk”
- The Undertones – “Teenage Kicks”
- Cheap Trick – “I Want You To Want Me” (early studio version)
- The Pretty Things – “The Good Mr. Square”
- Ernie K-Doe – “Here Come The Girls”
- my bloody valentine – “slow”
- Superchunk – “Package Thief”
- David Bowie – “Sound & Vision”
- King Floyd – “Baby Let Me Kiss You”
- Swervedriver – “How Does It Feel To Look Like Candy?”
My KUTX: Steve Markel Previews ‘Pride In Local Music’
On June 25, the Long Center celebrates Pride In Local Music, presented by the Austin LGBT Chamber of Commerce. It’s an event that highlights Austin’s LGBTQIA music community, with a special guest appearance from Bebe Zahara Benet of RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 1. Part of the proceeds go to the Austin LGBT Education Fund, which hands out $5000 scholarships to students researching LGBTQIA-related issues.
The show was organized by Steve Markel, the general manager of the Austin LGBT Chamber of Commerce and a former SXSW radio host. He’s well versed in the history of Austin’s queer music scene, and this week on My KUTX, he’s our guest DJ. Markel features a lot of the Austin artists playing Pride In Local Music, plus some other favorites for an hour he cheekily describes as his ‘gay sonic adventure.’ Hear Steve Markel’s My KUTX on Saturday, June 18 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime at the top of the page.
- Erase Errata – “Cruising”
- Gossip – “Men In Love”
- Tribe 8 – “Lezbophobia”
- Butch County – “Devil’s Playground”
- Thelma & The Sleaze – “High Class Woman”
- Sailor Poon – “Texas Butter Blues”
- Krudas Cubensi – “Wemilere”
- Caleb De Casper – “Good Boy”
- Bleached Roses – “Heart Shaped Box”
- Pelvis Wrestley – “Keep On Running”
- Melissa Carper – “Makin’ Memories”
- Julie Nolen – “Trouble Junkie”
- Tje Austin – “T-Shirt”
- Nakia – “Dream Big”
My KUTX: DJ Shani Celebrates Juneteenth With ‘Together Vol II’
House music was born out of the Chicago gay Black experience, and it’s a unique art form. Building through electronic repetition and a steady beat, house can inspire both an ecstatic dance or a relaxed state. For decades, DJ Shani has been something of a house music ambassador. She shares a Chicago birthplace with house, and she’s taken her love of the genre to London and Austin as a radio host and a performing DJ.
Next week, Shani celebrates Juneteenth with her second annual house music dance party, called Together Vol II. Supported by KUTX, it takes place June 17 and 18 at Lolo Wine, featuring DJ sets from Demarkus Lewis, Tobi G, and Shani herself. This week on My KUTX, Shani is back as our guest DJ, previewing the Juneteenth boogie with an hour of house classics. Hear My KUTX on Saturday, June 11 or listen anytime at the top of the page.
- JT Donaldson – “Just Bounce”
- Atjazz – “V1rus” (Dwell Amusement remix)
- DJ Disciple – “I’m A Conqueror” (feat. Beatweezy) [Deez Raw Life mix]
- Dames Brown – “What Would You Do?” (feat. Amp Fiddler & Andrés) [Expansions NYC Extended Dub Vocal]
- DJ Ceez & Tiff Beatty – “Magnets & Gravity” (Tobi G Deeper Ride)
- Tom de Neef & Lazarusman – “Agenda” (Bontan remix)
- Oscar P & Marcus Pearson – “Violet” (Infected Soul remix)
- STR4TA – “Rhythm In Your Mind”