Every week we invite our favorite musicians and music lovers to play whatever they want to play. We call it: My KUTX. Hear guest DJ sets Saturdays at 6 p.m. or listen on-demand at our archive.
My KUTX: Jimmie Vaughan
Jimmie Vaughan is one of the greatest guitarists of his generation, and his own brother Stevie Ray Vaughan would probably be the first to tell you that. Jimmie helped put Austin on the blues map after moving from Dallas in the ’70s. Frequent performances at Antone’s made the famed club the go-to spot for blues aficionados.
As Antone’s celebrates its 47th birthday all year long, Jimmie returns to the club this Saturday, July 2 with his Tilt-A-Whirl Band. And this week on My KUTX, we’re rebroadcasting his 2015 guest DJ set. Jimmie spins a lot of his favorite blues, R&B, country, and jazz songs that he first discovered while growing up in Dallas. Hear Jimmie Vaughan’s My KUTX on Saturday, July 2 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime at the top of the page.
[intro music: Jimmie Vaughan – “I Ain’t Never”]
- Slim Harpo – “Baby Scratch My Back”
- The Nightcaps – “Wine, Wine, Wine”
- Freddie King – “Hide Away”
- Bill Doggett – “Hold It”
- Little Tommy Tucker – “High Heel Sneakers”
- Jimmy Reed – “Big Boss Man”
- Webb Pierce – “I Ain’t Never”
- Stonewall Jackson – “That’s Why I’m Walking” (Live on The Porter Wagoner Show)
- Gene Ammons – “Miss Lucy”
- Ray Price – “Nightlife”
- Muddy Waters & Buddy Guy – “Wee Wee Baby”
- Lil’ Son Jackson – “Rockin’ & Rollin’”
- B.B. King – “Rock Me Baby”
- Little Richard – “Directly From My Heart To You”
- Chuck Berry – “Too Much Monkey Business”
My KUTX: Marc Fort
Like a lot of people in the Austin music scene, Marc Fort doesn’t wear just one hat. After spending almost two decades at the Texas Music Office, he just became the new marketing and communications manager for the Health Alliance for Austin Musicians (HAAM). Fort has also played bass in a variety of Austin bands, including Schatzi–which reunites on September 3 for a live show–Fuckemos, and Bo Bud Greene. You can catch him around town spinning all vinyl DJ sets, or hear his radio show Ear Candy 2.0 on Monday evenings on KOOP 91.7 FM.
This week on My KUTX, we’re handing the reins to this Austin music lifer for a great guest DJ set. Fort conceives of this hour as his personal “radio heaven”: the songs he’d most like to hear on repeat in the afterlife. Hear Marc Fort’s My KUTX on Saturday, June 25 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime at the top of the page.
- The Reivers – “Baby”
- Antônio Carlos Jobim & Elis Regina – “Águas De Março”
- Pavement – “Gold Soundz”
- TV On The Radio – “Lazerray”
- T-Bone Walker – “Evenin'”
- Cocteau Twins – “Cherry-Coloured Funk”
- The Undertones – “Teenage Kicks”
- Cheap Trick – “I Want You To Want Me” (early studio version)
- The Pretty Things – “The Good Mr. Square”
- Ernie K-Doe – “Here Come The Girls”
- my bloody valentine – “slow”
- Superchunk – “Package Thief”
- David Bowie – “Sound & Vision”
- King Floyd – “Baby Let Me Kiss You”
- Swervedriver – “How Does It Feel To Look Like Candy?”
My KUTX: Steve Markel Previews ‘Pride In Local Music’
On June 25, the Long Center celebrates Pride In Local Music, presented by the Austin LGBT Chamber of Commerce. It’s an event that highlights Austin’s LGBTQIA music community, with a special guest appearance from Bebe Zahara Benet of RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 1. Part of the proceeds go to the Austin LGBT Education Fund, which hands out $5000 scholarships to students researching LGBTQIA-related issues.
The show was organized by Steve Markel, the general manager of the Austin LGBT Chamber of Commerce and a former SXSW radio host. He’s well versed in the history of Austin’s queer music scene, and this week on My KUTX, he’s our guest DJ. Markel features a lot of the Austin artists playing Pride In Local Music, plus some other favorites for an hour he cheekily describes as his ‘gay sonic adventure.’ Hear Steve Markel’s My KUTX on Saturday, June 18 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime at the top of the page.
- Erase Errata – “Cruising”
- Gossip – “Men In Love”
- Tribe 8 – “Lezbophobia”
- Butch County – “Devil’s Playground”
- Thelma & The Sleaze – “High Class Woman”
- Sailor Poon – “Texas Butter Blues”
- Krudas Cubensi – “Wemilere”
- Caleb De Casper – “Good Boy”
- Bleached Roses – “Heart Shaped Box”
- Pelvis Wrestley – “Keep On Running”
- Melissa Carper – “Makin’ Memories”
- Julie Nolen – “Trouble Junkie”
- Tje Austin – “T-Shirt”
- Nakia – “Dream Big”