Every week as part of our Saturday night hip hop show The Breaks, hosts Confucius and Fresh present facts about the culture of hip hop and R&B that you might not have known.
Disclaimer: None of these facts have been fact-checked so might in fact be false. Read at your own risk.
#1 – Prodigy and Busta Rhymes almost ended up with the beat for Jay-Z’s “U Don’t Know.”
- Makes you wonder what it would have sounded like in another artists hands.
# 2 – That time Princess Diana requested a song from Michael Jackson.
- Before his show in London, Princess Diana once asked Michael Jackson if he was going to play “Dirty Diana.” MJ said he had pulled the song out of respect for her, but Diana told him, “love that song!”
# 3 – Suge Knight almost signed the LOX
- Coming out of their debut released on Bad Boy Records, Diddy’s west coast rival Suge Knight tried to sign the LOX!?
# 4 – Outkast’s “Elevators (Me & You)” was not meant to be the first single on ATLiens until DJ Greg Street leaked it on the radio.
- Outkast wanted it as a single, but the label didn’t. So who do you think leaked the track to DJ Greg Streeeeeet?
# 5 – Two former Busta Rhymes signees, Roc Marciano and Stove God Cooks finally found success after leaving The Conglomerate (FKA Flipmode)
- Busta struck out in this week’s Hip Hop facts.
# 6 – G-Unit passed up on Freddie Gibbs for Hot Rod.
- Who the hell is Hot Rod?