Last year, Willie Nelson celebrated his 89th birthday at his Luck, Texas ranch with–what else?–a live show. But this one was extra special: Austin singer-songwriter Bruce Robison–who’s written songs for the Chicks, George Strait, Faith Hill, and Tim McGraw–assembled a night of Willie disciples to fete the man in style with his own songs. Featuring Willie collaborators like Sheryl Crow and Margo Price alongside luminaries like Robert Earl Keen, Nathaniel Rateliff, Shinyribs, and more, the night was recorded and is now getting a release. One Night In Texas: The Next Waltz’s Tribute To The Red Headed Stranger is out via the Next Waltz, Robison’s own label and recording venture.
This week on My KUTX, Robison joins us again as our guest DJ. He plays songs from the One Night In Texas concert, talks about how it all came together, and includes some of his favorite lesser-known Willie favorites. This Willie Weekend, hear Bruce Robison’s Willie-themed My KUTX on Saturday, April 29 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime here.
- Shinyribs – “I Gotta Get Drunk”
- Margo Price – “Shotgun Willie”
- Nathaniel Rateliff – “Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain”
- Willie Nelson – “Sister’s Comin’ Home” (Live at the Texas Opry House, 1974)
- Sheryl Crow – “Night Life”
- Willie Nelson – “Why Do I Have To Choose”
- Willie Nelson – “Devil In A Sleepin’ Bag”
- Paula Nelson & Willie Nelson – “Slow Down Old World”
- Vincent Neil Emerson – “Bloody Mary Morning”
- Robert Earl Keen – “Pick Up The Tempo”
- Emily Gimble – “Down Yonder”
- Willie Nelson & Bonnie Raitt – “Getting Over You”