After completing his thesis in 2015, Danny Golden did what a lot of aspiring musicians do: he moved to Austin. That thesis–rearranging Bach compositions in a bluegrass style–set him up well for settling in here. With a few albums under his belt, he releases his latest Being There this week, before embarking on a lengthy tour with Austin’s Matthew Logan Vasquez.
And this week, Danny is also our guest DJ. He puts Marvin Gaye alongside the classical geniuses, remembers first hearing Terry Allen in the back of a pickup truck, and plays other favorites from Leonard Cohen, Lucinda Williams, and more. Hear Danny Golden’s My KUTX on Saturday, May 6 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime here.
[intro music: Danny Golden – “Do You Really Wanna Do It?”)
- Marvin Gaye – “Where Are We Going?”
- Terry Allen – “Amarillo Highway (for Dave Hickey)”
- Steel Pulse – “Your House”
- Clem Snide – “I Got High”
- Jerry Garcia – “That’s What Love Will Make You Do”
- Fleetwood Mac – “Everywhere”
- Electrophunck – “Blue Magnolia” (feat. David Ramirez)
- John Lennon – “You Are Here”
- Lucinda Williams – “Car Wheels On A Gravel Road”
- Matthew Logan Vasquez – “Untouchable”
- Leonard Cohen – “Anthem”