February is Love Austin Music Month. Learn more here. Photo by Gabriel Pérez/KUTX.
SaulPaul is an Austin musician who, in his words, likes to make music “that moves people and creates movements. His blend of rap storytelling and folk guitar has earned him a Grammy nomination and performances at the Kennedy Center, TEDx Talks, Super Bowls, and more. On the local level, he’s also the chair of the board of the Austin Music Foundation, and he recently collaborated with the E3 Alliance, an Austin-based nonprofit that focuses on educational achievement. All throughout February, SaulPaul will guest host the kids-focused radio show Spare The Rock, Spoil The Child, heard every Sunday at 6 p.m. on KUTX.
This week on My KUTX, we’re excited to turn the DJ keys over to SaulPaul for what he calls his “superhero origin story”: an hour of songs that have made him into the musician and community advocate he is today. Hear SaulPaul’s My KUTX on Saturday, February 6 at at 6 p.m. or listen anytime in the player above.
–Art Levy // producer, My KUTX
1. SaulPaul – “Rise” (Live From Studio 6A)
2. Bill Withers – “Lovely Day”
3. Sam Cooke – “A Change Is Gonna Come”
4. Sly & The Family Stone – “Everyday People”
5. Curtis Mayfield – “Freddie’s Dead”
6. Bob Marley – “No Woman, No Cry”
7. Ben Harper – “With My Own Two Hands”
8. D’Angelo – “Lady”
9. Aloe Blacc – “The Man”
10. SaulPaul – “Mama” (Live From Austin)
11. SaulPaul – “Ace It”