February is Love Austin Music Month–learn more here. Photo by Jorge Sanhueza-Lyon/KUTX.
DJ Shani started “The Groove Temple”–a radio show focused on house music–two decades ago in her native Chicago. Since then, her love of the sound has taken her to London and now Austin, where she spins every Friday at Halcyon. Shani is also one of the founders of UNITED, an annual event that spotlights black women and heritage through the lens of house music. UNITED celebrates its fifth anniversary with a party on February 22 at Empire Control Room, featuring Shani, DeeJay Alicia, and DJ I Wanna Be Her. This week on My KUTX, Shani is our guest DJ, diving deep into the roots of house music and how it continues to resonate today. Listen to My KUTX on Saturday, February 15 at 6 p.m. or listen at any time in the player below.
–Art Levy // producer, My KUTX
1. Soundspecies, Ache Meyi, Ron Trent – “Alina’s Calypso” (Ron Trent Remix)
2. Adonis – “No Way Back” (vocal mix)
3. Atjazz & Jullian Gomes – “Philosophy”
4. Louie Vega – “Love Having You Around” Feat. Rochelle Fleming & Barbara Tucker (Louie Vega Main Mix)
5. Cajmere Feat. Dajae – “Brighter Days” (Underground Goodies Mix)
6. Nathan Haines, Marlena Shaw, Restless Soul – “Squire For Hire” (Restless Soul Capricorn Mix)
7. Siso K feat. Tumi, Trinidadian Deep – “Lerato” (Trinidadian Deep Juju Remix)
8. JT Donaldson, Liv.e – “Stay Inside” (Extended Mix)