Tyler Murray has lived a few different lives. He grew up in Austin, experiencing both the foster care system and what it’s like to be adopted by older adults. He’s a former Marine who was deployed in Afghanistan. And these days you can often catch him around town as a chef, catering cookouts and various events.
But from an early age, Tyler was drawn to rap. First it was the explicit gangsta rap of 50 Cent, Cam’ron, and his favorite, Eminem, which he had to listen to secretly, hiding it from disapproving parents. Later, he came around to today’s titans, Future and Kendrick Lamar. Tyler started rapping under the name Jedi512, and it’s on the strength of his new album Conflicted that we’ve dubbed him our August Artist of the Month.
This week on My KUTX, Jedi512 is our guest DJ. He really opens up about his influences, his trials, and his joys across his winding path. Lupe Fiasco got him interested in concept albums. He connected with Kendrick’s humble roots and demeanor. And you’ll hear how the music of Nat “King” Cole saved his life. Catch My KUTX on Saturday, August 19 at 6 p.m. or listen anytime right here.
- Bill Withers – “Grandma’s Hands”
- Ennio Morricone – “The Ecstasy Of Gold”
- Cam’ron – “Intro”
- Lupe Fiasco – “Ms. Mural”
- 50 Cent – “Many Men (Wish Death)”
- Future – “March Madness”
- Kanye West – “Street Lights”
- The Weeknd – “Dark Times” (feat. Ed Sheeran)
- Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
- Baby Keem – “Family Ties” (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
- Nat “King” Cole – “L-O-V-E”
- Lil Wayne – “Tha Mobb”